Are you great with kids? Are you interested in becoming a substitute teacher or classroom assistant? EIASE is always looking for dependable, caring individuals who share our passion for providing exceptional learning experiences to our students in the absence of classroom teachers and assistants.

Substitute Teacher

If you would like to substitute teach for EIASE you will need to hold either a valid Professional Educator License (PEL) or a Substitute Teacher License (SUB) that is registered with ROE #11. Candidates that currently hold either of these licenses will just need to go to and click on the "Substitute" position listed under the Vacancies and complete the application process.

EIASE has several different programs including Kansas TLC, Fresh Start TLC (Effingham), Humboldt TLC, DDC (Mattoon), Deaf & HH (Mattoon), Project HELP - Bethany, Project HELP - Charleston, Project HELP - Kansas, Project HELP - Oakland, Project HELP - Marshall, Project HELP - Neoga, Project HELP - Sullivan, Project HELP - Stewardson-Strasburg and Project HELP - Windsor. You will be asked in the application process where you would prefer to sub.

Daily rate for a substitute teacher within an EIASE program is $125. Long term sub pay increases after 10 consecutive days within the same position and is calculated using the salary schedule.

Applying for a Substitute Teacher License

If you hold a bachelor's degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution then you can obtain a Substitute Teacher License - the degree does not have to be in an education-related field. ROE #11 will maintain on file all the required documents that include; a physical, finger prints, and a background check. Click here to open the substitute teaching packet from ROE #11 to start the application process. If you have any questions about the application or the process you can contact Beth Preston at ROE #11 at 217-348-0151.

You may be eligible to receive a refund for the application and registration fees within 18 months of the issuance of a Substitute Teacher License. You must provide evidence that you have substitute taught for a minimum of 10 full school days within the first year of issuance. If you work with us for these ten days you will complete FORM 73-02 "Substitute License Fee Refund Request" and we will then verify and submit it to ISBE on your behalf so that a refund will be credited back to you.

Substitute Classroom Teacher Assistant

In order to be a classroom assistant you must meet the following qualifications:

  • Be at least 19 years of age

  • Have 1 of the Following:

    • Associate's degree or higher

    • 60 semester hours of coursework

    • High School Diploma or GED and a score of 460 or higher on the ETS Parapro

    • High School Diploma or GED and the following scores on the ACT Workkeys:

      • Applied Mathematics/Applied Math — 4

      • Reading for Information/Workplace Documents — 4

If you would like to be considered for a substitute classroom assistant go to and click on the "Substitute" position listed under the Vacancies and complete the application process. The hourly rate for a substitute classroom teacher assistant is $13.85 per hour.